Monday, April 5, 2010

WHAT NEXT?


What NOT to do when your socks are wet. Last Friday Barbara and I took a walk around the neighborhood and canals of Kyotanabe. It was drizzling but we wanted to see the beautiful cherry blossoms that were everywhere. As we walked and walked and walked, I began to realize that my thin loafers were taking on water and my socks were soaked. By the time we got back to the church my socks had absorbed water almost to the ankle bone. I hadn't brought any other shoes or socks and my feet were freezing. One of the men, John Blocksom, Barb's son, suggested I dry them in the microwave in the kitchen. Well, I thought, I know you are not suppose to dry your pet in the microwave or put metal things in the microwave but what about socks. So I took them off, rung them out a bit and placed them in the microwave for 20 seconds. "Ding" there were done - not quite. So I put them in for another 20 seconds. "Ding" again. Done!! I was pretty happy to see that they were dry and toasty until. . . I noticed the upper cuff was a tad brown and then as I pulled them on the cuff began to crumble between my fingers. I had a pair of well done socks. But my feet were warm and dry and that made me happy!

On Tuesday, March 30 we had a wonderful time playing tennis with some new friends, the Seto's and their friend Mr. Uda. It has been many a year since we have played tennis but I think we did OK. After 2 hours it was time to leave and so the Seto's drove us home. We invited them in for some refreshments and to talk. Oh yes, and a game of ping pong. Seems they like ping pong too. We met Kiyoko (Mrs. Seto) at the supermarket a week or so ago when we were trying to figure out which milk was low-fat.
She excused herself and said "that one is low-fat". We thanked her and then began to talk with her. She is learning English and wanted to practice. She then asked if we liked tennis and we said yes, we use to play so she invited us to join her and her husband Akira. They are coming to our house (chapel) for dinner this Friday and bringing Mr. Uda. I plan to fix Sopa Fideo and maybe even an apple pie for dessert. She is planning on bring some Soba Noodles (Buckwheat). We will teach them the game of Jokers and maybe even set up another tennis date. They are such sweet people and we are hoping to introduce them to Jesus.

Oh, one more thing. I ran into the fence behind me trying to get a ball and well, you can see my chin. No one can say I didn't give it my all. Not only did my face hurt the next day but so did my old bones
. . .and muscles I had forgotten I had. I am recovered and ready to go again - - - - - -I think!

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I love your sock story...Experience is the best teacher! We have had 24 hours of almost non-stop rain here in Sonora, California. About 47 degrees. Also, hope your little chin heals quickly after your tennis accident. We are leaving for So. Cal. on Tuesday, we will be staying one night with Elda and Bob. Will write more when we get back. Love, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete