Monday, April 26, 2010

What Happens When You Can't Read The Labels?


Last Monday evening, April 19, we invited some friends over for dinner and games. I thought "since these American's have been here in Japan for 20+ years, I will fix them an American dinner." So, for the main course I fixed Sopa Fideo (not exactly American, more like Mexican but hey very Californian) and for dessert, apple pie. Can't get any more American than apple pie. The meal was a big success for which I was very glad as I always worry that it might not taste good. I cut the pie and served it with vanilla ice cream and coffee. While we were enjoying our pie I went into the kitchen and returned to the table with a green bottle of "vinegar" and asked Nancy to tell me if indeed it was vinegar. You see, my pie crust recipe calls for a tablespoon of vinegar. She began to laugh and said, in her sweet way, "no Karen, that is cooking sake." That is rice wine for those of you who don't know. My face turned a thousand shades of red I am sure. The rest of the evening my "sake" pie crust was blamed for losing at the game of Jokers, wild hits of the ping pong ball or just plain silliness. But as you can see, the pie looks great, the crust was flaky and rich and the pie crust pin wheels were gone by the time the evening was over and we all had fun.

This Tuesday, April 27 I am holding an apple pie making class and I have about 4 or 5 ladies coming. Believe me, I have vinegar for the crust this time. Steve and I went shopping for all the ingredients and I gulped back my embarrassment and asked the clerk at the store to show me vinegar. She spoke a bit of English and understood my request and took me right over to the shelf with several kinds. "Oh no!" I thought. "Which one do I get?" She explained the difference in 2 word sentences and so I got light vinegar. Now I'm all set for giving a lesson in American Apple Pie Making. It should be lots of fun. Steve will be on hand to take pictures and to taste the finished product of course. Each lady will make a small pie to take home to her family.

No comments:

Post a Comment